If you built your own computer, or you simply like the idea of getting the best that money can buy, you've probably heard of Solid State Drives (SSD). These drives seem horribly overpriced, considering a 60 GB costs you $100, and I just got a Terabyte for half that.
However, don't discount them simply because of their price. Not only do they use less power than a traditional magnetic disk drive, they are significantly faster and more durable.
Why use them? If you install your windows (or mac, or linux) installation on a solid state drive, you could be cutting your boot time in half or smaller. I know my next hard drive will be solid state.
Why use hard disk drives, if SSDs are so much better? Storage capacity. The faster access speed of the solid state drive doesn't matter if you're watching a saved movie, or listening to music. I have a large music library, and I'll be using hard drives to store it for a while to come.
I got most of my info from these sites:
http://www.snia.org/apps/group_public/download.php/35796/SSSI%20Wht%20Paper%20Final.pdf
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-just-how-fast-are-they/2902
0 comments:
Post a Comment